F16 - Adding a second video card

Jeffrey Ross jeff at bubble.org
Mon Jul 16 02:05:31 UTC 2012

I have an older motherboard/processor (Intel DG965RY with a Pentium D)
the system has an integrated video adapter (82G965) and I'd like to add
a second video Card (PCI card ATI RAGE IIC) I'm not looking for fast
video but would like to use 2 monitors.

I put the ATI card in the machine and an lshw shows the card:

        -display UNCLAIMED
                         product: 3D Rage IIC 215IIC [Mach64 GT IIC]
                         vendor: ATI Technologies Inc

When I first booted the system with the card, the BIOS made the ATI card
the primary and once X started the system went blank, changed the bios
to force the integrated card to be primary and everything works as
before, however I don't know how to tell X that there is a second video
card and to start using it.

What's the magic command that I'm unable to find?  From the GUI I've
checked displays under system settings but I only see my integrated
video interface, and "detect displays" produces nothing but the existing
display.

Thanks,

Jeff