F17 wireless card problem

Mark Haney markh at abemblem.com
Mon Jul 16 16:22:32 UTC 2012

On 07/16/2012 11:46 AM, Richard Vickery wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 7:47 AM, Mark Haney <markh at abemblem.com
> <mailto:markh at abemblem.com>> wrote:
>
>     This one might be a lot harder.  I installed (fresh) F17 on my new
>     6-core Phenom II system. I normally will keep that server on and
>     accessible via ssh from the internet so I can monitor logs on Squid,
>     do bandwidth tests on my customers servers, etc.

> Who is the router made by? My thought is that some routers, especially
> those supplied by Telus, need passwords or they may just fail when you
> are not looking. Of course, one of their "tech"-people came over to
> replace my modem and told me, in his limited MS Windows world, that I
> needed to change my SSID and password, after which I showed that it
> Linux worked when they were input with the same data as on the old
> modem. It could also have been that the network went down for some time
> and the router needed rebooting.
>
> my ignorant, uneducated, $0.02. I'm a political/social scientist, not a
> real one LOL.

It's a Westell DSL Modem/Wireless Router supplied by my ISP.  It's been
absolutely reliable for the last 2 years and I've never seen this
problem with it before.  Maybe it's the 'newness' of the card in the
server, or it's not entirely the right driver for it.

--

Mark Haney
Software Developer/Consultant
markh at abemblem.com
Linux marius.homelinux 3.4.4-4.fc16.x86_64 GNU/Linux