Make external hard drive accessible to all users

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Jul 18 11:51:08 UTC 2012

On Tue, 2012-07-17 at 14:58 +0300, Pasha R wrote:
> All external drives I use formatted as NTFS - this provides
> compatibility with windows boxes and allows me to store large files.
> Also, I'm the only user of the computer, so, multi-seat security is
> irrelevant to me.

You've a few choices, then...

You could leave the drive unplugged until you log in, and you'll get to
own it.

You could put fstab entries in that make it yours, but the drive would
have be connected before boot up, or before manually issuing a mount
instruction.

You could set up HAL rules (or whatever the current device manager is),
that recognises your drives by some rule (specific partition volume
names, or all NTFS drives, or something else), and mounts them with your
preferred options.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686