Make external hard drive accessible to all users

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Wed Jul 18 17:45:37 UTC 2012

Rick Stevens wrote:

> Unplugging the device and having udev unmount it can cause issues as
> you can't necessarily do a "umount" if the device (filesystem) is busy.
> Even "umount -f" only works on NFS volumes most of the time--not always.
> This is why you generally don't have easily-removable items in a server
> farm (it says here in small print).

Not sure, but I believe that -f behaves much like -l, and as long as something
is in use, like a process with a file open or cd into the mount. As long as the
process doesn't try to use the mount, other than what's n cache, it goes on
happily, and only when no process knows, or thinks it knows, about the umounted
f/s it won't truly go away.

In either case, the name of the big hammer is lsof, assuming you really want to
umount and are willing to accept collateral damage.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>