F17: trying to diagnose problem with external USB drive

M. Fioretti mfioretti at nexaima.net
Thu Jul 19 05:25:06 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 10:40:02 AM -0700, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 07/18/2012 12:18 PM, M. Fioretti wrote:
> >the folder that I am backing up contains <25k files total, in lots of
> >folders and subfolders, and afaik the max number of files for vfat
> >(both 16 and 32) is well above that number
>
> How many of those files/folders are being put in the root directory
> of the drive?

none. the root directory only has very few subdirectories, like:

photo
documents
software
logs

and almost all the files are photos, organized by date, something like:

photo/2009
photo/2010
photo/2011
photo/2012/20120101
photo/2012/20120209

etc etc

I am on a different pc right now so I cannot give exact numbers, but I
don't think any directory has more than ~500 files and subdirectories
in it.

marco