Run my windows dual-boot install in a window in f17

Claude Jones cjoneslists at tehogeeservices.com
Thu Jul 26 02:21:14 UTC 2012

On 07/25/2012 10:01 PM, Matt Morgan wrote:
> I have Windows actually installed on a separate partition. Can I run it
> from inside Linux somehow? That is, without rebooting into Windows. I
> looked at VirtualBox and Virtual Machine Manager (I'm completely new to
> them) but it wasn't obvious that they could use a real installation of
> Windows.

You can't run your existing Windows installation 'inside Linux' as you
ask. Virtual Box works well for me and this is how it's done. You
install Virtual Box, then open the program and create a new virtual
machine; you will be asked some parameters such as drive size, how many
processors to use, how much memory you want to use, and what operating
system the virtual machine will use. Once the new virtual machine is
configured, you can instruct it to boot from your DVD drive, insert your
Windows disk in the drive, and start up your new virtual machine. It
will detect the DVD in the drive and boot from it, and let you install
an instance of Windows. That's the basics - I happen to be working from
my Linux box at home, using a Windows 7 virtual machine running under
Virtual Box, which is logged into my workplace through a VPN connection,
and I'm administering a bunch of Windows Servers, so I can attest, it
works well.

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA