Mounting Galaxy S3 internal SD card

Alex mysqlstudent at gmail.com
Sat Jul 28 01:19:16 UTC 2012

Hi,

>> Just got a new Samsung Galaxy S3 and would like to transfer files
>> between it and my fc15 box. When I insert the USB cable, it seems to
>> mount it with a file manager pop-up showing
>> "SAMSUNG_Android_SPH-L710", but it's otherwise not accessible on the
>> filesystem.
>>
>> How was it mounted?
>>
>> I've found several references to jmtpfs and MTP, but I was previously
>> able to mount my original Galaxy without any additional software, so
>> I'd appreciate a better explanation of what's happening.
>
> You don't say what model you had previously, but at least some later
> ones (I have the Google Nexus model) use Android 4.x, which does not
> support direct access as a mass storage device. According to Google,
> this because the phone's "SD Card" is just a region of main memory and
> it would be dangerous to allow unmediated access to it.
>
> IOW you need to use MTP or similar. I've had success using Nautilus,
> which detects the phone and can mount it via a userland library
> (presumably libMTP but I haven't checked). I also installed an FTP
> server on the phone; there are several available.

That's great information, thanks. The FTP server is a great idea.

I tried searching for a command-line app, but have been unable to find
one. How does Nautilus do it successfully? In other words, I assume
it's the case that libMTP is linked against Nautilus, but regular
mount doesn't support it?

My new phone is the Samsung Galaxy S3 SPH-L710, android version 4.0.4.
Sure would be nice to have regular cp and rsync support.

Thanks,
Alex