remake /dev

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Sat Jul 28 12:29:07 UTC 2012

On 07/28/2012 08:07 PM, Patrick Dupre wrote:
> My idea what to repair the installation from another installation.
> So, I mounted the defectuous installation, and I did a chroot to it.
> It works except that I have an error message:
> so such file or directory : /dev/urandom
>
> Same thing when I make a yum --version
> There is no files in /dev, I though that I should rebuild it
>
> Am I wrong?

Yes, you are wrong.   If you mount a / file system there will be nothing in /dev.  That is normal.  It gets populated during the boot process and really doesn't exist on disk.

If you go to /dev on a working system the date/time of the entries will be that of when the system was last booted, more or less.

--
Never be afraid to laugh at yourself, after all, you could be missing out on the joke of the century. -- Dame Edna Everage