remake /dev

Veli-Pekka Kestilä fedora at guagua.fi
Sat Jul 28 21:46:39 UTC 2012

On 28.7.2012 18:39, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Sat, 2012-07-28 at 15:50 +0300, Veli-Pekka Kestilä wrote:
>> On 28.7.2012 15:07, Patrick Dupre wrote:
>>> So, I mounted the defectuous installation, and I did a chroot to it.
>>> It works except that I have an error message:
>>> so such file or directory : /dev/urandom
>>>
>> If you really need some device nodes in chroot environment you can run
>> after chroot,  "MAKEDEV /dev/urandom" it should just create the device
>> (presuming the defective installation does still have MAKEDEV command in
>> sbin)
>>
>> -vpk
>>

> I thought of MAKEDEV but does not seem to exist anymore on the system.
[root at localhost ~]# rpm -qf /sbin/MAKEDEV
MAKEDEV-3.24-10.fc17.x86_64

Atleast it seems to in the f17 system I have set up for doing some
virtualisation testing. Granted it wasn't in the default installation
and I had to install it manually. But you could have found this yourself
by just doing yum search makedev.

-vpk