Changing calendar default from Evolution to Thunderbird

steve steve at lonetwin.net
Sun Jul 29 07:32:12 UTC 2012

On Sunday 29 July 2012 04:28 AM, Lawrence Graves wrote:
> Does anyone out there know how to change the default evolution calendar
> to the lightning calendar in Thunderbird. I have pulled my hair out and
> I am bald headed.:-)  I am running Fedora 17x64. Everything pertaining
> to email works fine except for the calendar. Thank you in advance.
I am assuming you meant F17. I was searching for this myself a while
back and found:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/69349/how-to-change-gnome-shell-calendar-default-application

Basically, doing this:

$ gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.default-applications.office.calendar
exec thunderbird

will let you use thunderbird when you click on 'Open Calendar' from the
panel clock.

Interestingly, I assumed that I'd be able to change this from:

gnome-control-center -> Details (under 'Sysytem' section) -> Default
Applications

...but it doesn't seem to offer that option, although I've installed
thunderbird-lightning from the fedora repos (as opposed to installing it
as an add-on in my thunderbird instance).

Not sure if this is a bug with thunderbird-lightning or with
gnome-control-center.

cheers,
- steve