Check your /etc/default/grub, if you use raid 1.

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sun Jul 29 14:02:00 UTC 2012

There's a long standing combination of two bugs: the list of rd.md.uuid boot
parameters generated by anaconda for /etc/default/grub may not include the
raid uuid of non-stock partitions like /home; and although the ramfs
initscript autodiscovers all raid volumes present, sometimes (not always,
I'll estimate 5% of the time) if a uuid is not enumerated in the boot
parameters, one of the drives in the raid 1 volume may not get assembled at
boot.

There's probably a third bug in here: mdmonitor should've mailed me when an
array came up degraded at boot (I suspect that because mdmonitor gets
started so early in the boot process, not all the moving pieces are there
for mail delivery to happen). Eventually, you'll boot again with both drives
in the array somehow, except they'll be out of sync, resulting in massive
corruption. If you're lucky, you'll boot just with the other drive, and
discover that your filesystem's contents are weeks/months out of date, and
maybe you'll be lucky enough to figure out what happen, and switch back to
the other drive and resync. But, not everyone's so lucky.

This first started happening in F16. It took me a while to figure out the
cause for an occasionally raid assembly failure at boot. Fixed it, and
forgot about it. Well, looks like the F17 anaconda brought back the broken
/etc/default/grub, which found its way into my grub.cfg, and I just lost a
full day, cleaning up this mess.

So, if you use raid 1 and upgraded to F17, you may need to fix this before
it's too late: put back the missing uuid into /etc/default/grub, and into
every entry in grub.cfg

Pissed.