update from another machine

Larry Horn hornlo at lohnet.org
Mon Jul 30 03:09:38 UTC 2012

On Sun, 29 Jul 2012 21:10:23 +0200
Patrick Dupre <pdupre at kegtux.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> At home I have a slow internet connection,  Thus, I would like to
> prepare an update but only download the packages to another
> machine and then copy the file on a stick to make the update from
> the stick.
>
> How can I do it?
>
> Thank.

I update my laptop at work and rsync to other machines when I get home.
Here's a variation on that:

... On fasthost, modify /etc/yum.conf to set keepcache=1.
... If you've not set keepcache before, then you may still end up downloading
... dependencies (to slowhost) not kept on fasthost from previous runs.

fasthost# yum install/update [ --downloadonly ] THE-PACKAGES-I-WANT
fasthost# rsync -avP --include='*/' --include='*rpm' --exclude='*' /var/cache/yum/ /media/STICK/yum/

... go home ...

slowhost# (edit /etc/yum.conf to set keepcache=1)
slowhost# rsync -avP /media/STICK/yum/ /var/cache/yum/
slowhost# yum update/install

This will only copy the RPMs; yum will still download metadata (see yum.conf for "metadata_expire").

... optionally, rsync RPMs back to STICK, then back to fasthost