question regarding ls w/ colors and capturing to file

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Tue Jul 31 07:45:16 UTC 2012

On 07/31/2012 02:48 PM, Paul Allen Newell wrote:
> Thanks for the very prompt reply. I tried the command and I am not getting what I expect when I open the file. Part of the problem (maybe large part) is that I am opening in vim. What editor should I use for seeing this as all I get in vim is 1) no color and 2) alot of control-M's

OK.....  In my haste, I misunderstood your needs.

What I gave you basically captures the control characters which produce the colors in the terminal.  So, if you "cat" the file you'll see the colors.

At the moment, I can't think of what editor would retain the colors.  :-(

I'll try to think a bit more....