Problem shutting down laptop...

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Fri Jun 1 02:28:01 UTC 2012

On 05/31/2012 04:56 PM, Michael Cronenworth wrote:
> Darryl L. Pierce wrote:
>> I did the preupgrade yesterday on three machines without issue.
>>
>> On my laptop, though, I'm having a problem with shutting the laptop down
>> now. It's a Lenovo W510+ and, during the shutdown process, when it
>> switches to text I see an error (don't remember the exact text offhand)
>> about shutdown having a problem. Then the laptop just stops and the
>> CapsLock light starts blinking. At this point I have to power down the
>> old Irish way by holding the power button.
>>
>> Anybody else hitting this?
Yes, I did.

> No, but it sounds like a kernel panic.
In my case, it was an obvious kernel panic.

AFAIS, the cause was running a Fedora 16 kernel underneath of Fedora 17.
Preupgrade (rsp. yum and/or grub underneath) obviously did not upgrade
grub2.cfg to boot into the Fedora 17 kernel.

For me, rebooting into the F17 installation with the F16 kernel
underneath and then explicitly removing and reinstalling the fc17-kernel
fixed this issue:

# rpm -qa 'kernel-PAE*'
kernel-PAE-3.3.7.fc17.i386
kernel-PAE-3.3.7.fc16.i386

# yum remove kernel-PAE-3.3.7.fc17.i386
# yum update
# reboot

> You should try hitting the escape key during shut down or boot with
> "norhgb" (maybe even add "nomodeset") to stop plymouth from hiding any
> kernel output.
That's why I saw the kernel panic ;)

Ralf