Red Hat Will Pay Microsoft To Get Past UEFI Restrictions

Tommy Pham tommyhp2 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 07:45:02 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 12:20 AM, Javier Perez <pepebuho at gmail.com> wrote:
> William. The operating word here is Tiviozation.
> You can compile the kernel but you can't run it on the system. That is the
> threat GPL3 is trying to counteract.
> By creating "valid" kernels, by definition "not valid kernels" cannot run.

I thought one of the MAJOR the points of using Linux and Unix is the
ability of the Sys Admin to custom compile the kernel to lessen the
vulnerability and to enhance performance by reducing the memory foot
print and number of code execution.  Furthermore, am I wrong to
misinterpret that Open Source would permit the consumer (ie, us) to
tweak and use as we see fit for our own personal reasons yet non
destructive towards others.  If we are barred from that customization,
what's the point of Open Source?