Red Hat Will Pay Microsoft To Get Past UEFI Restrictions

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Fri Jun 1 11:05:30 UTC 2012

Javier Perez writes:

> Tommy, you are exactly right on all of your points.
>
> The Fedora people say that they would rather not go back to the times of
> compatibility lists to find out what hardware worked with the system.
>
> I'd rather go back to compatibility lists and give my gold to whichever
> hardware manufacturer caters to my needs than give MS the kind of veto power
> they would have with secure boot as currently defined.

I'd rather not go back to any point in the past. I really like the way
things are working out, right now.

Just last week, installing the kernel 3.3.7 update made the ACPI backlight
intensity adjustment keys on my Thinkpad work, for the first time.

Unti now, they never worked. I never bothered to complain. I figure that,
sooner or later, the kernel will get the support for the right bits of
hardware in this laptop that it wasn't yet familiar with. And I was right.

This kind of progress is about to be thrown under the bus.