Problem shutting down laptop...

Jeff Gipson jeffagipson at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 13:06:26 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jun 01, 2012 at 08:53:59AM -0400, Darryl L. Pierce wrote:
>On Fri, Jun 01, 2012 at 04:28:01AM +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>> >No, but it sounds like a kernel panic.
>> In my case, it was an obvious kernel panic.
>>
>> AFAIS, the cause was running a Fedora 16 kernel underneath of Fedora
>> 17. Preupgrade (rsp. yum and/or grub underneath) obviously did not
>> upgrade grub2.cfg to boot into the Fedora 17 kernel.
>>
>> For me, rebooting into the F17 installation with the F16 kernel
>> underneath and then explicitly removing and reinstalling the
>> fc17-kernel fixed this issue:
>>
>> # rpm -qa 'kernel-PAE*'
>> kernel-PAE-3.3.7.fc17.i386
>> kernel-PAE-3.3.7.fc16.i386
>
>Hrm, for me I still have an F16 kernel that seems to be eclipsing the
>F17 kernel:
>
>mcpierce at mcpierce-laptop:~  $ rpm -qa kernel
>kernel-3.3.7-1.fc16.x86_64
>kernel-3.3.7-1.fc17.x86_64
>kernel-3.3.6-3.fc16.x86_64
>
>mcpierce at mcpierce-laptop:~  $ uname -r
>3.3.7-1.fc16.x86_64
>

>--
>Darryl L. Pierce, Sr. Software Engineer @ Red Hat, Inc.
>Delivering value year after year.
>Red Hat ranks #1 in value among software vendors.
>http://www.redhat.com/promo/vendor/
>

>--

	### End of Message from Darryl L. Pierce ###

I also had problems doing an upgrade from F16 to F17 with old kernels
laying around. I though it was because I was using grub2+UEFI so the
installer couldn't find the grub.conf file. I hand-edited, and haven't
had any problems, since, except, I expect the first Kernel upgrade that
comes along will also not find my grub.conf.

I've probably completely setup my boot loader wrongly, but I suppose
that a matter for a separate thread.

--
   Jeffrey A. Gipson