Red Hat Will Pay Microsoft To Get Past UEFI Restrictions

Joe Wulf joe_wulf at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 1 13:58:37 UTC 2012

I find it gauling that I could buy standard hardware, either directly from an OEM or resale, and Micro$loth (a software vendor, NOT a hardware vendor) has to be paid blood money, so that free and open source software can be 'approved' for installation.

This is wholly inappropriate regardless of whether "I" have to pay Micro$loth, or FOSS developers do.

worst. Microsoft will be offering signing services through their sysdev portal. It's not entirely free (there's a one-off $99 fee to gain access), but
it's cheaper than any realistic alternative would have been. It ensures
compatibility with as wide a range of hardware as possible and it avoids Fedora having any special privileges over other Linux distributions. If there are better options then we haven't found them. So, in all
probability, this is the approach we'll take. Our first stage bootloader will be signed with a Microsoft key."