F-17 vlc/rpmfusion install problem -

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 20:24:00 UTC 2012

On Fri, 01 Jun 2012 16:11:19 -0400, Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA wrote:

> On 01/06/12 15:53, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> > Try again. Use cut'n'paste. Don't introduce type mistakes.
> > What you've run is not what I've suggested.
> >

>     [root at box9 bobg]# rpm -e rpmfusion-release-nonfree
>     rpmfusion-release-free
>     error: package rpmfusion-release-nonfree is not installed
>     error: package rpmfusion-release-free is not installed

Good.  So, that raises the question why you have .repo files for
rpmfusion repos in /etc/yum.repos.d/? And those are damaged or invalid.

Let's continue with the instructions at:

  http://rpmfusion.org/Configuration

What works for you? What doesn't? In section "Graphical Setup via Firefox
web browser" one can simply click'n'install the package without problems.

Earlier, you've written this:

 | [root at box9 bobg]# yum localinstall --nogpgcheck
 | http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/rpmfusion-free-release-stable.noarch.rpm
 | [...]
 | Cannot open:
 | http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/rpmfusion-free-release-stable.noarch.rpm.

The "Cannot open" is suspicous, because the download location certainly
is valid and works here. Does Yum work at all for you?
Can you download that file with your favourite browser?
If yes, use    rpm -ivh rpmfusion-free-release-stable.noarch.rpm
to install it within the directory you downloaded it to.

--
Fedora release 17 (Beefy Miracle) - Linux 3.3.7-1.fc17.x86_64
loadavg: 1.21 1.14 0.86