Fedora-17 installation failure

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Fri Jun 1 20:24:56 UTC 2012

I've tried installing Fedora-17 in two ways using a USB stick.
First I installed the DVD.iso on a stick with Fedora LiveUSB Creator.
This seemed to work fine and installed all the packages asked for,
remarkably quickly, and then booted OK.

I installed the new system on /dev/sda7, leaving Fedora-16 on /dev/sda6.

The only problem was that there were only half-a-dozen modules installed,
which did not include either ethernet or WiFi driver.
Both .ko files seemed to be in place, but modprobe did not install them.

There was no 70-persistent-net.rules config file in /etc/udev/rules.d .
And although /boot/grub2/grub.cfg seemed to list all the old systems,
they did not appear in the menu at boot-time.

Next I installed the KDE Live CD on the USB stick, in the same way.
This seemed to run OK, but again there were only a few modules installed,
with both ethernet and WiFi modules missing.

I think the only unusual aspect of my system
is that I used the old /home partition unchanged.

I tried running mkconfig-grub2 in both cases, without effect.

I'm going to try netinstall next.
But meanwhile if anyone can assist with the two USB installations above
I should be most grateful.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net