Red Hat Will Pay Microsoft To Get Past UEFI Restrictions

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Fri Jun 1 22:20:33 UTC 2012

Alan Cox writes:

> Its a feature of the hardware design. It was designed into the UEFI
> secure boot set up from the start for the same reasons a web browser
> needs to be able to revoke keys.

Yes, but for that, the firmware will either need support from the OS it
secure-boots, to go out on the network, check for revocations, and upload
them into firmware; or the firmware itself must implement a bare-bones
network stack, initialize the onboard NIC, obtain a DHCP address, or load a
static IP config, then check for CRLs.

Before it boots the OS.

With the former, since it would be loading malware that piggy backs on the
signed free OS, the malware can take care of pacifying the firmware. I can't
see the latter happening (at least not on consumer hardware, server hardware
that can take ages to POST might be able to swing it), but, who knows,
stranger things have happened.

> > Can you point me to any OEM that indicated that they will make hardware
> that
> > implements user-installed keys?
>
> Hopefully there will be enough of an explosion that this changes but it
> will probably depend upon competition regulators and lobbying from
> supportive politicians in the EU.

I think that's going to be how it plays out. EU will require firmware to
support user-installed keys. OEMs that sell to EU will have to support user-
installed keys. EU hardware will then have to find its way back into the
rest of the world. It remains to be seen if Microsoft will succeed in
banning imports of EU hardware into other parts of the globe, as contraband.

> If Red Hat have any sense they will take up the offers to get their key
> into as many BIOSes as they can and sign with both. That way Microsoft
> can't screw them over later even if they want to.

They certainly can screw them. Easily. Like I said, I fully expect a future
Microsoft OS to require Microsoft-signed firmware. And, whether or not it's
going to be an official requirement, a Microsoft-signed firmware cannot have
the ability to install other keys. This may not certainly not be written or
published anywhere. But that's simply what's going to happen.

Even if Red Hat gets their keys into some OEM firmware, as long as there is
some non-trivial amount of OEMs who will agree to Microsoft's requirements,
the rest of the OEM will then have to pick whether to support Microsoft or
non-Microsoft OS on their hardware.

It's already been established that, in the past, Microsoft required PC OEMs
to license their OS for all hardware they sold, whether it ran their OS or
not. This is just the next logical step, and it takes the enforcement into
the hardware layer. Even if the PC EOMs did not sold other OSes, you can
still install them on their hardware, mostly. No such option will exist for
hardware-enforced OS lockdowns.

> > You really think that any OEM will fight this? Why should they?
>
> If it hurts their business for one, and in order not to be considered
> part of a cartel may be another (as whistle blowing a cartel usually
> mostly exempts you from damages for it...)

They won't have a choice. Microsoft will require that all hardware an OEM
makes must be signed by their key, or none at all. Hardware OEMs will have
to choose whether their entire product line will only support a Microsoft
OS, or all other OSes. No collusion between OEMs will be necessary. Each OEM
can document how they arrived at their decision independently.