any suggestions for these F17 upgrade problems (can not boot)?

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sat Jun 2 00:21:50 UTC 2012

Chris Caudle writes:

> I dropped to rescue mode and ran yum upgrade, which only updated a few
> packages.  I thought perhaps the RT patched kernel from F16 was a problem,
> so I installed the current 3.3.x kernel and rebooted.
>
> When the 3.3.x kernel loads, it drops into a shell with only the initrd
> filesystem mounted, with a message that it cannot find
> /dev/mapper/VolGroup00_LogVol00 which would usually be my boot drive.  The

How did you install the kernel? The initrd image that's created by the stock
kernel RPM should include the necessary LVM voodoo in the initrd image.
You're apparently missing that.

It's possible that Anaconda, when upgrading, relies on the existing kernel
install to specify what's needed to boot the system, and your hacked kernel
failed to provide the necessary magic bits.

Get a full Fedora install DVD, and boot it in rescue mode. If it finds all
your volumes, and mounts them, drop into the rescue shell, chroot
/mnt/sysimage, run /sbin/grub2-mkconfig.

Then, run 'rpm -q kernel' to get the list of all the installed kernels, then
'rpm -q --scripts ' on the kernel version you want to boot.

Manually execute the call to /sbin/new-kernel-pkg that includes the --update
parameter. Hopefully that should give you a good initrd image.

Then, run /sbin/grub2-mkconfig.

Probably not all of this is necessary, but this solves most problems of this
kind.