what name does com1 rs232 get in F16+ ?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sat Jun 2 04:16:10 UTC 2012

On Sat, 2012-06-02 at 08:46 +0900, Joel Rees wrote:
> If the widget allowed an admin user to give modem access to a regular
> user, that might have been a useful feature in a GUI widget.

I'm fairly certain that was how I remember it working.

> If the widget set the modem port to be world accessible, well, that is
> a definite mis-feature in the current world. Such things may have
> seemed to make sense to some people

Unfortunately, too many people want that.  SELinux stops something I
want to do, turn it off, rather than configure it...  Can't share files
across the network because they've got user ID mixups, make everything
world read/writable, rather than fix ID issues...

Unfortunately, the documentation about using groups is far from good,
any time that I've had a look at it.  It tends to only be advice on this
mailing list that tells you that it's useful to add yourself to
the /this/ group and /that/ group to be able to do what you want,
without badly compromising the setup, or having to jump through hoops to
make what you want to work.

The distro is heavily GUI-centric, but many GUIs are not very self
explanatory.  Yes, I can see various (apparently) system groups, or
software groups (such as apache), if I look in the user editor.  But I
don't know if the "disk" group or something-else group is something that
I'm supposed to add myself to, to grant access (so I can mount discs).
Or, whether it's a group that the system uses for itself (how *it*
manages discs).  *Because* these groups are not explained.  Not in the
user configurator, nor anywhere else obvious, that I can see, on the
installation.  And, no, it's not good enough to go trawling through the
net to find out traditional uses for some of these groups, because
random advice may not apply to your specific situation.  Even standard
advice needs interpretation, such as how the file system hierarchy specs
are not quite the same as being used.

And, certainly, having to hop onto the net to find documentation about
how to connect to the net (through your modem), is a chicken and egg
situation.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686