gdm not starting own pulseaudio - how should it?

Neil Bird neil at fnxweb.com
Sat Jun 2 07:43:14 UTC 2012

   How should gdm be starting its own pulseaudio process?

   I've had an issue since upgrading from Fedora 14 to Fedora 16 in that
after a while, and not on any trigger I've yet identified, my
/var/log/messages starts filling up with:

pulseaudio[pid]: protocol-native.c: Denied access to client with invalid
authorization data.

   .. adding a new one every few *seconds*!

   I believe I've finally pinned this down to the gdm-owned
gnome-settings-daemon and gnome-shell processes trying to talk to *my*
pulseaudio daemon (via the lo interface over TCP).

   On my laptop, which has a fresh install of F16, I see there's a
gdm-owned pulseaudio started as soon as the login screen appears.
There's no such process on my desktop.

   So how should this process be started?  What might be preventing it?

   I presume just starting one for gdm after the event won't help as
those 2 processes won't have the environment variables to tell them how
to talk to it (I'm *guessing* that they currently already don't, and are
falling back to the pulseaudio port on localhost, which happens to be
mine pulseaudio process in this case).

--
[phoenix at fnx ~]# rm -f .signature
[phoenix at fnx ~]# ls -l .signature