Yum is going berserk!

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Sat Jun 2 19:04:05 UTC 2012

This morning, I was doing a system update using yumex while I was
cooking breakfast.  When I got back, the system was hung so badly that I
had to use the reset button.  The system came back up fine, so I opened
a terminal and tried this:

su -c yum-complete-transaction

After thinking things over, it found the transaction and told me that
there were 39 incomplete items that it would take care of.  I kept an
eye on the terminal to see what was going on, and it's a good thing,
because suddenly it began spewing all sorts of packages that it was
going to erase.  I used ^C to kill it because I didn't want my system
hosed.  Before doing anything else, including another yumex update, I
want to see if anybody has any ideas about what happened or how to
prevent it from happening again.

BTW, this is the second time in less than a month that I've had a system
update hang on this box.  The last time it munged a kernel update badly
enough to cause a kernel panic on reboot.  I ended up booting into the
previous kernel, followed by removing and installing the bad kernel to
get grub.cfg fixed.  Considering that preupgrade also hung, leaving my
computer almost unusable, and that I never had the slightest trouble
with earlier versions of Fedora, you can see why I say I "upgraded" to
F16.  I'm not at all favorably impressed by it and will be moving to F17
as soon as the inevitable teething troubles are ironed out.

(I've also posted the above via copy/paste to the fedoraforum to get
this question seen by as many people as possible.)