Solution to RAID /boot issue in fc17?

Alex mysqlstudent at gmail.com
Sat Jun 2 19:59:22 UTC 2012

Hi,

>> Can you describe how you did this? Is this during the install and
>> before reboot? Basically copy it, unmount, shorten it to begin at 4096
>> with fdisk, remake filesystem, remount, then copy contents back?
>>
>> Afterwards, you would re-run "grub2-install /dev/sda" correct?
>
> Don't bother. You don't need to go through that mayhem.
>
> grub2-install /dev/sda

Okay, so you're saying that it's okay to set up the partitions
manually and don't worry about the moving /boot, right?

Is there any support for installing grub on a RAIDed /boot?

I think I'm confused, but what I'm trying to do is recover from a
failed /dev/sda that contains the only /boot partition.

> providing your /boot isnt on LVM, and you don't do anything insane like
> run third party defrag tools on it then it will all just work.

I never use LVM because most of my systems are basic Xeon 1U boxes
with no additional HDD capacity anyway...

Thanks Alan,
Alex