Make F17 automount disks?

Beartooth beartooth at comcast.net
Sat Jun 2 20:03:52 UTC 2012

On Thu, 31 May 2012 15:36:02 -0700, sergiocmailbox-fedorausers wrote:

> --- Em qui, 31/5/12, Beartooth <beartooth at comcast.net> escreveu:

>>     Where can I tell F17 under fxce if
>> possible) I want it to automount any disk I put into a drive?? (In
>> addition to its own internal drive for removable media, each machine
>> can also be connected to an external USB drive.)

> That should be a task for thunar-volman (Settings>Removable Drives and
> Media) but it's broken for auto-mount.
> You can use gnome-fallback-mount-helper (the name may not be exactly
> that as I don't have it in my custom installation, but the default Xfce
> spin has it as it comes with gnome-settings-daemon/GDM).

> Edit /etc/xdg/autostart/gnome-fallback-mount-helper.desktop and check
> the "NotShowIn" or "OnlyShowIn" line and add XFCE besides GNOME.

	I did that.

> Then logout and login and check Settings>Session and Startup to see if
> gnome-fallback-mount-helper has started or is checked to start
> automatically.

	It hadn't and wasn't. In fact, I didn't see anything that looked
like it.

> Then install dconf-editor, open it and browse to
> org.gnome.desktop.media-handling and enable auto-mount and auto-browse
> (the terminology may be different but you'll get the idea).

	They're both already checkmarked, apparently as the defaults.
Should I uncheck them??

> That's it, gnome-settings-daemon will take care of the auto-mounting for
> ya.
> Then you may remove (yum remove) thunar-volman if you like.
>
> I wrote this from memory, hope it helps.

	Well, it's a start, for which thanks! But I'm still floundering.
One question: do I have to log out & in, or something, to get gnome-
settings-daemon to do its magic?