Solution to RAID /boot issue in fc17?

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Sat Jun 2 20:25:42 UTC 2012

> > grub2-install /dev/sda
>
> Okay, so you're saying that it's okay to set up the partitions
> manually and don't worry about the moving /boot, right?

If you've previously set up a RAID1 /boot (eg with older Fedora when it
worked fine or by hand)

> Is there any support for installing grub on a RAIDed /boot?

If your /boot is RAID1 then you are ok only if your two volumes are
identically laid out so the map files are identical. At that point grub
is as ever utterly RAID unaware but whichever disk you look at you have a
valid copy of the data in the same place and it just works. It's also
possible to have two totally separate partitions one on each disk and set
each up as if it was a real /boot with its own grub install for the disk
etc.

You do then need to remember to copy over or rsync then one not mounted
at /boot (taking care to just rsync the kernels).

> I think I'm confused, but what I'm trying to do is recover from a
> failed /dev/sda that contains the only /boot partition.

An existing failed /dev/sda or trying to set things up so it will
continue to work if /dev/sda fails ?

Alan