Red Hat Will Pay Microsoft To Get Past UEFI Restrictions

jdow jdow at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 2 23:01:09 UTC 2012

On 2012/06/02 13:27, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 06/02/2012 01:22 PM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
>>
>> Should be interesting to see how the great unwashed will accept waiting
>> 2-3 minutes for their PC to boot, while their firmware is trying to grab
>> CRLs over the network.
>
> Even more interesting will be seeing how they react to the idea that their
> laptops/notebooks/netbooks won't boot at all if they don't have an active
> network connection.

And I can think of many situations in which that would be perhaps the
single most important time for it to boot in some critical situations.
(... and in some ultra-high security situations.)

That parenthetical remark makes me wonder how well this initiative will
fly in China, Russia, and other countries that may, from time to time,
be less than friendly to the US. If you can declare the OS is secure by
means of the Microsoft certificate, how much money would it take to make
Microsoft geek to including a backdoor for the NSA?

{o.o}   Just sayin'