any suggestions for these F17 upgrade problems (can not boot)?

Chris Caudle chris at chriscaudle.org
Sun Jun 3 02:38:50 UTC 2012

On Fri, June 1, 2012 7:21 pm, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> How did you install the kernel? The initrd image that's created
> by the stock kernel RPM should include the necessary LVM voodoo

By installing from the install DVD, then by yum running from the rescue
mode of the install DVD.
Eventually I got rid of all the other kernels which had been on the
machine, and now I have only the kernel from the F17 install
(3.3.4-5.fc17.x86_64)

> 'rpm -q --scripts ' on the kernel version you want to boot.
> Then, run /sbin/grub2-mkconfig.

Thanks for the tips.  I tried all you suggest, and I think I have an init
ramdisk image with everything needed, it just won't load for some reason.

When trying to boot I still end up in the debug shell after getting these
messages:
dracut Warning: Unable to process initqueue
dracut Warning: /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 does not exist
dracut Warning: /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00 does not exist

I can run "/sbin/modprobe cciss" and the /dev/cciss/* devices show up. I
can run "/sbin/lvm_scan" and the /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol?? devices
show up.

After doing that I ran /init and the system started to boot, but hung at
the fedora splash image.   Usually hitting escape key at that point will
get rid of the image and show the console messages scrolling by, but it
does not at this point, which I assume means something hung really hard.

Just to be sure the driver load was actually working OK, after the system
rebooted again and ended up in the debug shell again, I did the
/sbin/modprobe, /sbin/lvm_scan sequence, and mounted
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00 and made sure all the files I expected
were there.

So the question is why does the initrd not do the modprobe and lvm_scan
(or the equivalent if that is not literally what happens) on its own? The
drivers are obviously there, and I can mount the filesystem after manually
hands over to the kernel and the initramfs image.

--
Chris C