Red Hat Will Pay Microsoft To Get Past UEFI Restrictions

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Sun Jun 3 19:20:30 UTC 2012

On 06/03/2012 12:03 PM, x414e54 wrote:
> Even my friends, I tell them about linux, and they are very skillful
> with computers but have no intention to use anything that is not
> pre-installed on their system.

Yes.  I tell friends that it's free and they're interested, but afraid
to try it because they "need" Windows programs.  I tell them that there
are Linux equivalents that can read/edit/write files that the Windows
programs understand and they're more interested.  They ask about
anti-virus and I explain that the malware that's currently out there in
the wild bounces when it hits Linux and they're impressed.  But they
don't change, they don't try it, they don't even burn and try a LiveCD
to see what it's like.  They just can't imagine freeing themselves of
Windows.

I do have two friends who use Linux, as a secondary OS, but they're
geeks, and they're doing it so that they can support it.  Several years
ago, my sister (NOT a geek!) tried a LiveCD of Ubuntu.  After only five
minutes, she called out, "Joe, I *WANT* this!"  We set her up with a
dual boot system, and within a week, she'd stopped booting into Windows.
  The moral of this (if there is one) is don't tell them about Linux,
give them a chance to try it for themselves.