Red Hat Will Pay Microsoft To Get Past UEFI Restrictions

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Jun 4 06:00:40 UTC 2012

Tim:
>> I'm curious about other differences that might occur while you're
>> running the system in the non-secured mode.  Are we going to find that
>> bank sites can detect your running mode, and refuse access, for
>> instance?

Edward M:
> if the menu can be reached to disabled secure boot. Apparently on
> windows 8 computers,  BIOS/UEFI menu will be removed, and to access
> the UEFI settings needs to be within windows. so i read.
>
>   http://www.theverge.com/2012/5/23/3038269/windows-8-fast-boot-no-interrupt
>   http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/05/22/designing-for-pcs-that-boot-faster-than-ever-before.aspx#comments

Those two quoted URIs would seem to be completely unrelated to my query,
which isn't about changing settings, but detecting the current mode of
operation.

I'm concerned whether you're going to be locked out because you're not
in their preferred mode, just like various dumb sites excluded Netscape,
or particular versions of browsers, or browsers on particular operating
systems, or because you were rejecting third-party cookies, or another
damn fool reason that's got little relation to real security.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.