Red Hat Will Pay Microsoft To Get Past UEFI Restrictions

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Jun 4 06:14:45 UTC 2012

On Sun, 2012-06-03 at 20:03 +0100, x414e54 wrote:
> Stop wasting time in the replacing the Windows market

I tend to agree.  It's quite rare that something different can actually
be a replacement, only an alternative.  Sometimes an alternative is
better, sometimes not.  There are usually drawbacks in using an
alternative, often they're serious enough to override any perceived
advantages.  Probably three-quarters of the battle is convincing someone
that an alternative would be better (if it is), the rest then actually
doing it.

Personally, I'd like to see the end of the current motherboard
technology, that's burdened with some ancient legacy it needs to keep on
supporting.  If we can avoid having to do all sorts of hacks to make it
boot, and work, that would be a good thing.  If we could avoid having to
rely on closed-source vendor drivers, that would be a good thing.  If we
could avoid having to fiddle with a gazillion unexplained BIOS settings
to try and make a system work, that would be a good thing.  On the
converse, being able to get into a BIOS when you need to, without having
to work out how to access a BIOS that doesn't accept keyboard over USB
during pre-boot, that would be a good thing, too (this isn't just
limited to older hardware, either).  And it'd be nice to get back to
hardware that doesn't need failure-prone forced cooling.

Various motherboard alternatives have been touted about, ones with
open-source BIOS, ones with a completely different design than the usual
Intel-CPU types.  Sometimes they appear to be just concept, or developer
boards, sometimes they're for a special purpose.  And, perhaps, it's
time to encourage wider take-up of such boards, rather than trying to
use a board that has been designed for Windows.  Let's face it, most of
them are only designed for Windows.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686