Fedora 17 not booting after installing akmod nvidia driver

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Mon Jun 4 11:39:34 UTC 2012

Am 04.06.2012 13:36, schrieb Swapnil Bhartiya:
> I am revisiting the same problem that I faced with Fedora 16, and the reason I could not use it. I installed
> 'akmod' and 'nvidia settings' from Yumex and when rebooted the screen was stuck at /
>
> em1: link becomes ready/
>
> I logged into tty3 and then removed akmod nvidia
> [root at localhost ~]# yum remove akmod-nvidia.x86_64
> [root at localhost ~]# yum remove akmods.noarch
>
> and now system is booting well. What is the problem? How can I use nvidia drivers without this issue. I am liking
> Fedora 17 very much and would like to continue to use it as my primary OS along with Ubuntu.

you should simply NOT upgrade to the latest fedora version soon
after release if you rely on third-party drivers

this is always the same discussion after each new release

F16 has the same kernel, firefox, thunderbird.....
in this moment there is not much new in F17 for most
workloads but you get usually a newer xorg which causes
your problems and will do with each release in the future
as long you are not willing to buy supported hardware