Fedora 17 not booting after installing akmod nvidia driver

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 13:01:34 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 6:36 AM, Swapnil Bhartiya
<swapnil.bhartiya at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am revisiting the same problem that I faced with Fedora 16, and the reason
> I could not use it. I installed 'akmod' and 'nvidia settings' from Yumex and
> when rebooted the screen was stuck at
>
> em1: link becomes ready
>
> I logged into tty3 and then removed akmod nvidia
> [root at localhost ~]# yum remove akmod-nvidia.x86_64
> [root at localhost ~]# yum remove akmods.noarch
>
> and now system is booting well. What is the problem? How can I use nvidia
> drivers without this issue. I am liking Fedora 17 very much and would like
> to continue to use it as my primary OS along with Ubuntu.

Unfortuantely it's difficult to make the akmods process robust so
akmods should really only be used by those running rawhide OR those
who are good at troubleshooting problems when things go wrong.

One thing you could do after installing akmods and akmod-nvidia is to
try running akmods as root and see if the build process completes so
we would know if it's a systemd service related problem or something
else.

Richard