Fedora 17 not booting after installing akmod nvidia driver

Swapnil Bhartiya swapnil.bhartiya at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 15:35:41 UTC 2012

> I'll start by saying that I'm running F17 on large number of (vastly
> different) machines, of that, 2 are using nouveau and 4 are using the
> nVidia binary drivers.
> (I usually use the binary drivers only if I require high-performance OpenGL)
>
> The reason I mention it, is that it's unlikely that I missed a major
> (Fedora specific) issue w/ nVidia binary drivers under F17.
>
> With that said, a couple of questions:
> 0. Please post your hardware configuration.
GPU: GeForce GTX 275
Intel i5
8GB RAM

> 1. Are you using RPMFusion or are you using different nVidia RPMs repository?
RPMFusion

> 2. Have you followed the nVidia HOW FAQ? (http://rpmfusion.org/Howto/nVidia)
On that page it says PAE. I am using 64bit of Fedora 17, should I use PAE?
I am not sure which drivers should I install. I tried both kmod and
akmod from Yumex (one by one and at both times boots into Fedora and the
screen get stuck with above mentioned em1: link becomes ready)

> 3. Have you made sure nouveau is *disabled* in grub?
No.

http://ask.fedoraproject.org/question/315/what-is-the-difference-between-an-akmod-and-kmod

> 5. akmod-nvidia requires time to finish building the RPMs, have you
> tried giving it some time to finish?
Yes, Yumex showed it completed.

> 6. Try rebooting. When you see the "Loading grub" message, press space
> (it'll bring the grub menu), select the top Fedora entry and press
> 'e'. Locate the line that has "rhgb quiet" and remove the "rhgb quiet"
> string. Once done Ctrl-X to reboot. Does it work? If it doesn't, what
> do you see?
System boots and then get stuck at em1: link becomes ready