timezone confusion (new F17 install)

Greg Woods woods at ucar.edu
Mon Jun 4 16:28:23 UTC 2012

I have a fresh install of F17 that has some confusion about its
timezone. The date displays as MDT (which is correct), but every time I
boot the machine, it displays six hours ahead. Not coincidentally I'm
sure, that is the offset between MDT and GMT, so what I'm seeing is
correct GMT time but displayed with MDT timezone, so in reality it is
off by six hours. I can reset the time with "ntpdate", and it works fine
until the next reboot, at which point it's off by six hours again.

Obviously I've got something misconfigured but I can't figure out what.
Anyone seen this before?

Thanks,
--Greg