Fedora 17 not booting after installing akmod nvidia driver

Matthew Saltzman mjs at clemson.edu
Mon Jun 4 19:49:46 UTC 2012

On Mon, 2012-06-04 at 13:15 -0400, Gilboa Davara wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 6:35 PM, Swapnil Bhartiya
> <swapnil.bhartiya at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> 4. Why are you using akmods-nvidia instead of kmod-nvidia? Any
> >> particular reason for "build" the RPMs locally?
> >
> > http://ask.fedoraproject.org/question/315/what-is-the-difference-between-an-akmod-and-kmod
>
> In general akmods are only needed if you plan to deploy self-built /
> testing kernels.

Also useful for when Fedora pushes a new kernel and rpmfusion doesn't
get an updated kmod for a couple of days.  Booting is usually seamless
with akmod building the replacement module when it detects it isn't
there.  When the kmod eventually appears, yum will grab it.

By contrast, whatever ATRPMs does with the nVidia modules for RHEL is
annoying as hell--I can't boot a new kernel until ATRPMS releases the
corresponding module, and modules don't get deleted when their
corresponding kernels do--I have to do it by hand.  (Unless I've got
something royally misconfigured...)

> >> 5. akmod-nvidia requires time to finish building the RPMs, have you
> >> tried giving it some time to finish?
> >
> > Yes, Yumex showed it completed.
>
> akmods run *every* boot as a service.

AFAIK, all it does if the module is already there is detect it.  I
didn't think it rebuilt on every boot--only if the module is missing.