Red Hat Will Pay Microsoft To Get Past UEFI Restrictions

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Mon Jun 4 21:55:01 UTC 2012

On Mon, 04 Jun 2012 14:48:44 -0700
JD <jd1008 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 06/04/2012 01:44 PM, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > This may have been covered but if you are among the majority (I
> > would guess) that do not have UEFI machines the question is kind of
> > moot is it not? I am assuming that Fedora 18 will run on these
> > machines without the UEFI boot firmware. Am I correct?

Yes, on non UEFI machines, Fedora will continue to run as it always
has. Even on UEFI machines, with secure boot disabled, it will run as
it always has.

> Well, how fast will the mobo manufacturers and bios manufacturers
> integrate UEFI and mass produce them for the market?
> I am just guessing that manufacturers may balk and complain for a
> while.

Any of them that wish to have a "Windows 8 Client ready" sticker will
do so. I suppose each will weigh the costs of complying with those
rules vs the cost of someone not buying their hardware because it
doesn't have the sticker.

kevin