Fedora 17 not booting after installing akmod nvidia driver

Swapnil Bhartiya swapnil.bhartiya at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 05:29:30 UTC 2012

On 06/04/2012 07:15 PM, Gilboa Davara wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 6:35 PM, Swapnil Bhartiya
> <swapnil.bhartiya at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>> With that said, a couple of questions:
>>> 0. Please post your hardware configuration.
>> GPU: GeForce GTX 275
>> Intel i5
>> 8GB RAM
> I've got a two machines using GTX 2xx cards.
> HW should be safe, I reckon.
>
>>> 2. Have you followed the nVidia HOW FAQ?
>>> (http://rpmfusion.org/Howto/nVidia)
>> On that page it says PAE. I am using 64bit of Fedora 17, should I use PAE?
> x86_64 is 64bit.
> No need for PAE.
> (yum install kmod-nvidia etc)
>
>> I am not sure which drivers should I install. I tried both kmod and akmod
>> from Yumex (one by one and at both times boots into Fedora and the screen
>> get stuck with above mentioned em1: link becomes ready)
>>

>>> 3. Have you made sure nouveau is *disabled* in grub?
>> No.
> Big no-no.
> nouveau collides with the nVidia binary driver.
> This alone might explain the issues you are facing.
>
> 1. Install the nVidia binary drivers.
> $ yum install -y kmod-nvidia.x86_64 xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs.i686
> xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs.x86_64
> (You can remove the xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs.i686 part if you don't
> need 32bit support)
>
> 2. Edit /etc/default/grub
> 2a. Locate a line that contains "rhdb quiet"
> 2b, Right after the quiet, add:
>        rdblacklist=nouveau nouveau.modeset=0
>        (I usually also add vga=xxxx to get a nicer login screen. E.g.
> If your display is capable of displaying 1024x768 you can add
> vga=0x317)
>
> 3. Once done, rebuild the grub2 configuration.
> $ grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
>
> 4. Reboot.
Done exactly that. I did not add vga=0x317 as my monitor is 1900x1080

I rebuilt the grub configuration as you suggested.
Note:  I am multi-booting with Ubuntu so that I do have a system working
unless I fix Fedora issue. I did not install Fedora grub instead using
Ubuntu grub. So, I also updated Ubuntu's grub.

When I did everything as you stated and rebooted. But once again when I
booted into Fedora the boot started and then screen was stuck here:
[ 13.172058] ADDRCONF (NETDEV_CHANGE): em1: link becomes ready

Swapnil