Red Hat Will Pay Microsoft To Get Past UEFI Restrictions

Thibault NĂ©lis thib at stammed.net
Tue Jun 5 07:47:14 UTC 2012

On 06/05/2012 08:02 AM, JD wrote:
> So, will there be a document that will accompany the ISO,
> advising the user what key to insert into the firmware so
> that the firmware will be able to authenticate the boot loader?

I don't know if this has been discussed somewhere at Fedora, but I would
assume the documentation will be updated to mention this at some point,
and you'll probably get some help in f18 release notes too.  You could
raise the issue with the documentation team if it hasn't been already.

The main problem is that the UEFI spec doesn't describe a standard UI to
do this AFAIK, so every hardware vendor might implement it in a
different way.  If the process varies too much from user to user, Fedora
might prefer to simply refer the user to the firmware's documentation.

In any case, this information will be freely accessible somewhere, and I
suspect some open source tools will also appear to assist if necessary.