How to run KNetworkManager

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Tue Jun 5 12:10:29 UTC 2012

On 06/05/2012 07:37 PM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> This raises an issue I've wondered about for some time, namely
> What info does NM provide, and what is provided by KNM?
> What if you don't run KNM -
> could one still access Network Management Settings, and if so how?
>
> The old system-config-network appears to have been replaced
> by something which I find completely useless.
> It only lists my ethernet interface (eth0), which I am not using.
>
> In my experience anything to do with networking on Fedora/KDE
> is utterly confusing and confused,
> compared eg with the simplicity of networking under Windows.

Just "guesses" on my part...

But, you the "NetworkManager" package which is a "system" service that does the
actual work of managing the connections.  It has several other pieces that can be
added on to take care of openVPN and pptp and a few other things.  Then there is
NetworkManager-gnome package which is the GNOME interface to "NetworkManager".

KDE has its own set of tools to interface with "NetworkManager".

Those tools can be accessed from the panel "System Tray" or if you don't have that
you can always to to "System Settings"--->"Network Settings"--->"Network Connections".

I really don't have any problems using "Network Manager".  I found it "mostly" simple
to setup an openVPN connection.  Still have to write a bugzilla about how it "should"
restrict where you put certs.  But, without knowing the specifics about problems
people encounter....it is hard to comment.

I also don't know if anything that I've just written addresses any of the questions
you've raised.

of the century. -- Dame Edna Everage