How to run KNetworkManager

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 15:20:10 UTC 2012

On 06/05/2012 12:57 AM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 06/05/2012 03:33 PM, JD wrote:
>> Could someone please tell me how to use KNetworkManager?
>> I have kde-plasma-networkmanagement-0.9.0.2-1.fc16.i686
>> installed, but I cannot find the icon nor the binary for
>> KNetworkManager.
>> Could someone please clue me in?
> You're running KDE under F16, yes?
>
> Do you have the "System Tray" widget on your panel?  I think, by default, you should
> see a pair of scissors, a speaker (volume control) and the Network Manager icon
> (RJ-45 connector icon).  If you have some of the icons....but not the RJ-45 you can
> right click on the area and pick "System Tray Settings" and make the changes you need
> to expose the network control.

I am running xfce4, so I do not see such
widgets on  the panel.
I thought there should be an executable
binary named knetwormanager, which
I see mentioned in some blogs.
Reason I wanted to use it is because I was
told by a kde apps developer that knetwork
manager shows "....The signal strength of each network is
indicated by a series of bars, each one representing 10%."
That is useful to me so I can see at a glance how my wifi
is doing.