A file named "["?

Chris Tyler chris at tylers.info
Tue Jun 5 18:34:37 UTC 2012

On Tue, 2012-06-05 at 18:16 +0000, Beartooth wrote:
> 	On one of my PCs, /bin contains an executable file whose name is
> the left square bracket, and nothing else.
>
> 	Opening it with gedit gets something that's part text (generally
> if not all commented out) and part stuff I can't read.
>
> 	Is there a test, usable by one who knows no code, whether it's
> malware??
>
> 	What should I do?

You can find out if a particular file is part of a package that you've
installed like this:

$ rpm -qf /usr/bin/[
coreutils-8.12-7.fc16.x86_64

To check whether any files in that package have changed, substitute
"-V" (verify) for "-q" in the line above.

In the case of the executable named "[", it's the test command in
sheep's clothing, part of the coreutils package on most Fedora systems.
See "man test" for details.

-Chris