Filesystem format for external hard disk

Roberto Ragusa mail at robertoragusa.it
Wed Jun 6 14:05:37 UTC 2012

On 05/31/2012 05:03 PM, Paul Smith wrote:
> On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 4:01 PM, Jeff Gipson <jeffagipson at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Are you planning to rsync, twice, once to each drive, or are you looking
>> to establish a software raid 1 between two attached usb drives?
>
> Thanks, Jeff. I am planning to rsync twice, once to each drive.

Good idea. Sync them in different times; e.g. the first one every day and
the other one every week. In this way you have an older backup if you want
to restore something deleted by mistake.
And keep the "weekly" one in a different (more secure) place. ;-)

As you use rsync, you may be interested in

rsync -av --delete /home/psmith/ --link-dest /media/IOmega/backups/myhome/20120605 /media/IOmega/backups/myhome/20120606

You can easily have 60 backups taken each day of the last two months and
restore whatever you have deleted or messed up (e.g. diff on what the file is and
what the file was).

That is the setup I'm using (with dmcrypt, so to not have to worry about
a stolen backup disk).

   Roberto Ragusa    mail at robertoragusa.it