any suggestions for these F17 upgrade problems (can not boot)?

Chris Caudle chris at chriscaudle.org
Wed Jun 6 17:13:43 UTC 2012

On Fri, June 1, 2012 7:21 pm, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
advice on getting kernel fixed up
> /mnt/sysimage, run /sbin/grub2-mkconfig.
> 'rpm -q --scripts ' on the kernel version you want to boot.
> Manually execute the call to /sbin/new-kernel-pkg that includes the
> --update  parameter.
> Then, run /sbin/grub2-mkconfig.

Thank you very much again for the advice.  It did not work at first, but
after investigation with rescue mode from the install DVD I discovered
that the upgrade had not actually completed successfully, and I had a lot
of conflicting older packages still on my machine.  After a couple of
evenings using yum from rescue mode to manually get the packages cleaned
up enough that "yum distribution-synchronization" and "package-cleanup
--cleandupes" would run without errors, I tried your original advice
again, and this time was able to successfully get the system running.  I
considered just formatting / and installing from scratch, but I have a
somewhat complicated networking setup, and had not backed all my config
files in /etc, nor backed up my mythtv database, so I had some incentive
to get the upgrade working. Thanks to your help I was able to.

--
Chris