Permission problems after install of F16 comming from F14.

Erik P. Olsen epodata at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 21:26:03 UTC 2012

I have a number of F14 partitions which must be mounted unchanged on the new F16
system. It turns out that I get unexpected permission problems with this
approach. I use the same user name on both systems but on F14 I got userID 500
whereas on F16 it became 1000. I wasn't aware of that but learned it the hard
way. When I chowned the permissions to 1000:1000 it worked on F16 but now not on
F14.

What is the proper way to fix this problem? I am tempted to reinstall F16 and
force my userID to 500, but the system warns me not to create userIDs < 1000. It
is not feasible to clone the partitions due to space constrains so I am not able
to have identical partitions with different permissions.

--
Erik