Permission problems after install of F16 comming from F14.

Jeff Gipson jeffagipson at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 23:39:39 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jun 06, 2012 at 11:26:03PM +0200, Erik P. Olsen wrote:
>I have a number of F14 partitions which must be mounted unchanged on
>the new F16 system. It turns out that I get unexpected permission
>problems with this approach. I use the same user name on both systems
>but on F14 I got userID 500 whereas on F16 it became 1000. I wasn't
>aware of that but learned it the hard way. When I chowned the
>permissions to 1000:1000 it worked on F16 but now not on F14.
>
>What is the proper way to fix this problem? I am tempted to reinstall
>F16 and force my userID to 500, but the system warns me not to create
>userIDs < 1000. It is not feasible to clone the partitions due to
>space constrains so I am not able to have identical partitions with
>different permissions.
>
>--
>Erik
>--

	### End of Message from Erik P. Olsen ###

You said you wanted to not modify the F14 volumes:

mount -o ro,uid=1000,gid=1000 /path/to/device /path/to/mountpoint

This allows you to access the stuff on your F14 volume as you, but
disallows you changing anything.

If you are truly migrating away from F14 then you need to mount rw and
change the ownership of the stuff.

--
   Jeffrey A. Gipson