Copying USB stick fails with device errors

Alex mysqlstudent at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 01:57:09 UTC 2012

Hi,

>> What's the proper way to copy the entire USB stick as an image?
>>
>> I suspect the issue is that the bootsector is within the first four
>> blocks, and the filesystem begins after that. How can I tell "mount"
>> to look for the filesystem after the first four blocks?
>>
>> Somehow when I insert the USB stick on my fedora16 desktop, it's
>> already mounted (by udev?) and I can see the contents, so there is a
>> valid filesystem on the original USB stick.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Alex
>
> When fedora automounts your usb thumb drive,
> which device does it mount?
> sdb1 or sdc1?

It mounts both, each in a separate directory in /media.

> Also,   the file usbstick.dd:
> is this the file you created by attempting to dd
> which of the 2 devices? sdb  or  sdc?

This is from sdb1. I haven't tried sdc1, figuring I should try and get
sdb1 (the smaller device and partition) working first.

It seems now, after having mounting and unmounting, inserting and
reinserting, it no longer automounts either partition. I've also tried
restarting udevd.

I've also tried creating the backup using just "cat /dev/sdb1 >
usbstick.dd" and it's the same result. I believe I mentioned in my
table there?

# fdisk -l usbstick.dd

Disk usbstick.dd: 1342 MB, 1342169088 bytes
45 heads, 4 sectors/track, 14563 cylinders, total 2621424 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x261e6d11

usbstick.dd1   *           4     5242859     2621428    b  W95 FAT32

Thanks,
Alex