Dropbox cannot enable user_xattr in /etc/fstab

Paul Smith phhs80 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 11:16:43 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 11:51 AM, suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> A minute of searching led me to this:
>>>
>>> <http://forums.dropbox.com/topic.php?id=29809>
>>
>> Thanks, suvayu. I had read that before posting my query, but that does
>> not enumerate detailed steps leading to the solution of the problem.
>>

> Maybe this helps then? <http://forums.dropbox.com/topic.php?id=48583>
>
> For some more info and recommendations on extended attributes you can look here:
> <http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/CommonExtendedAttributes>
>
> FWIW, I have this in my fstab:
>
> /dev/mapper/vg_kuru-lv_home /home    ext4    defaults,user_xattr    1 2

Thanks, Suvayu, once again. Following your suggestions, I was able to
fix the problem by adding

user_xattr

to the line of my fstab file

/dev/mapper/vg_new--host-lv_home /home                   ext4
defaults        1 2

after 'defaults'. That line now looks like

/dev/mapper/vg_new--host-lv_home /home                   ext4
defaults,user_xattr        1 2

Paul